It’s July… already! But before you know it we will be pulling out our winter clothes and looking for all the fall fashion tips. Life is like that; one minute you’re here and the next minute you’re way over there. The only person who can best keep up with you is indeed yourself. So it is very important to stay in tip-top emotional and mental health. Here are five reminders on how to make sure you are dressed to impress the most important person in your life: YOU!
1) Love yourself. Never stop loving yourself, even when you do something wrong. Love yourself even if everyone is against you. Love yourself when no one understands you. You know the saying, “If you don’t love me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best”? The same goes for you as an individual. If you love yourself when you are down, it will be very easy to love you when things start looking up again. As with any good relationship love gets stronger through the good and the bad. If you don’t already, start loving yourself, now!
2) Respect yourself. If you don’t respect yourself it will be seen in your actions. For example, you may allow/expect people to treat you bad and keep going back to those who have hurt you repeatedly. Remember, standing alone respectably is better than standing with the crowd who disrespects you. Be proud of where you are at this point in your life and respect yourself for all the hard work it took to make it here today!
3) Forgive yourself, and others. Holding on the past means you are not over it. Allow yourself to move forward. We have all made mistakes, so learn from them and let go! Make a huge mental note of the outcome in that situation and promise yourself to stay far away from the red flags in the future. You may have to check on the forgiveness in your heart often, usually it does not happen overnight. But with diligence you are sure to become free to forgive once again!
4) Express yourself. Have you ever screamed at the top of your lungs while on a mountains peak? Yeah, me either. But I bet that would feel good, especially if I was frustrated. Since screaming is not a practical or mature way of handling stress, it is very important to find a positive outlet. There are many options such as painting, cooking, building models, gardening, writing prose, cycling, poetry, jogging, photography, playing instruments, singing, working out, listening to music or focusing on a passion, just to name a few. Discovering ways to express how you feel in a productive manner will enable you to solve problems more effectively and soundly. Go on, express yourself!
5) Grow Yourself. It is impossible to love, respect, forgive, and express yourself without growing. Whether or not we realize it, every day we are evolving. Build yourself with affirming thoughts and always be motivated with a long-term goal. As you accomplish the short-term goals and eventually the long term one, make another long term goal in a slightly different direction so you are always challenging yourself towards progress. Development is inevitable. So, is your growth beautiful or ugly? The choice is yours!